Job Title Project Manager
Position Title: Project Manager
Location: Tehsil Gagra, District Buner, KP
Reporting to: Director Programs Project Duration: 12 Months
The Project Manager shall be responsible for the planning and implementation of upcoming (subject to approval) Donor funded project, ‘Improving access to school health services for children and adolescent girls in Tehsil Gagra, District Buner’. The project manager will work under the overall supervision of Director Programs. He/she will have a lead role in executing, controlling and close-out of the project and will be based in project office, Buner.
The project aims to improve the status of health & nutrition and promote better health & hygiene practices among school going children especially adolescent girls in District Buner. The target group includes the primary to higher secondary school children, adolescent girls and school teachers of target area. This project will improve the health and learning outcomes of the school going children through;
1. Health screening, early diagnosis and treatment of visual and hearing impairments, Worming, anemia and malnourishment in 150 schools (74 girls’ schools and 76 Primary boys’ schools) of Tehsil Gagra, Buner.
2. Two-days training of 300 teachers (148 females, 152 males), on health screening techniques, health education, WASH, MHM, respiratory hygiene, food & nutrition.
3. Meetings and FGDs with the relevant staff of health and education department.
4. The project will engage district Buner health, education and population welfare departments to systematically adopt and carry on school health program.
5. The project aims to launch AGAH (Adolescent Girls Awareness on Health) campaign in all-girls school of target tehsil.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the overall implementation and management of all aspects of the project.
Strategic Planning, Project Management and Implementation:
Full managerial and technical responsibility of project implementation, including all day-to-day operations, managing staff, managing budgets and ensuring the quality of the service as per the predefined targets and objectives.
1. Planning, monitoring, coordinating and evaluating the implementation of the project, ensuring timely and quality delivery of services as per the approved project proposal.
2. Conduct health screening in 150 schools (74 girls’ schools and 76 Primary boys’ schools) of Tehsil Gagra Buner.
3. Provide technical expertise in conducting health screenings, teachers trainings, awareness campaigns with adolescents and as well as approving of programming and financial progress of the activities throughout the life of the project.
4. Orientation of project team and health team on project activities and deliverables.
5. Conduct teachers training and finalize the content of training manuals and information materials in consultation with Director Programs.
6. Take lead and coordinate with the team to conduct two-day (02-days) teachers training on health education including WASH, MHM, food & nutrition and respiratory hygiene in compliance with internal and external requirements.
7. Organize and conduct awareness sessions in middle to higher secondary schools of girl’s on WASH, MHM, food & nutrition and respiratory hygiene.
8. Prepare work plans, progress reports, and other programmatic deliverables, also ensure timely submission of all plans, reports and deliverables to line supervisor and donor agency.
Coordination & Liaison Activities:
1. In consultation with the head office, develop great liaison with district Health, Education and administration departments; Orientation and engagement of health officials, and medical staff for conducting health screenings in schools.
2. Obtain permission/NOC from relevant govt. department.
3. Conduct meetings with relevant government department’s officials to engage the health staff of BHUs for conducting health screenings in schools.
4. Conduct meetings with DHO on devising referral mechanism for students with visual, hearing or other impairment and provision of deworming medicine and iron supplements to school students as a regular feature.
5. Maintain strong line of communication with all relevant government departments, for smooth implementation of health screening activities in schools and for establishing student referral systems at district health facilities.
6. Selection of schools with the DEO and ADEO.
7. Proactively seeks collaborative relationship with the education department officials, including DEO, ADEO and schools heads.
8. Orientation of School Health Program to DEO, ADEO and school heads.
9. Reach out to partner organizations working in health care services for the treatment of students diagnosed with visual and hearing impairments.
10. Works with different forums, including local and international NGOs, district Health and education authorities, to initiate and facilitate a dialogue /discussion to include health services provision to students as an integral component of education system.
Capacity Building, Communication & Advocacy Strategy Development:
1. Conduct health awareness session and disseminate 35,000 brochures among students, teachers and parents during health screening activity in schools.
2. Content development for print and electronic media.
3. Supervise the development of Urdu language, culturally appropriate brochures on MHM, and health education.
4. Finalize video concept for 02 animated videos with animators/ video developers.
5. Disseminate videos among teachers and students.
6. Development of training module and ensure its timely deliver
Monitoring and Reporting:
1. Prepare and submit periodic reports on the status of the project activities and results for internal and external communication.
Qualification: Master’s or equivalent in Social Sciences. Project Management or Public Health
· Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience in Development Sector with health related projects
· Significant experience in a management role within a relevant project in Pashtun communities (preferably in terms of design and implementation of project in a challenging environment)
· Experience of working in an insecure and challenging environment preferably in a leadership position
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
· Excellent coordination, interpersonal and communication skills
· Demonstrated networking and partnership build skills with relevant departments in project area
· Strong knowledge of local language, excellent communication skills in English