Job Title Director Strategy Finance
The Director, Strategy to the VP Finance and CFO (VPF) will be a critical role that will supports the VPF with the day to day running of the Finance function. The incumbent will be responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring financial and statistical performance of Finance operations, identifying opportunities for growth, and mitigating emerging risks. Director, Strategy will enable communication and collaboration across the Finance teams and broader AKU. In this role, incumbent will work closely with the VPF and CFO and Finance Leadership to set, implement, and monitor execution strategy and will be responsible for managing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and producing best-in-class materials for projects. You will also realize the VPF and CFO’s vision for a high-performance culture within the Finance function and oversee performance management and talent acquisition for the global Finance teams. You should be able to handle several principal duties, all focused on making time, information, and decision processes more effective.
- Develop key strategic objectives which are to be met in the short term, medium term and long term and identify financial challenges that the Institute may face in the achievement of the key strategic goals.
- Support the VPF and CFO in setting the overall strategy and direction.
- Provide strategic direction in conjunction with the Vice President of Finance to develop and focus a vision, strategy, partnerships and an implementation plan to harmonize Finance policies globally. The works includes setting up and facilitating discussions, articulating and synthesizing concepts, ideas and strategies emerging from drafts, generating feedback and responses for further considerations.
- Provide strategic oversight and direction to facilitate VP Finance and CFO in preparing Board reports, papers and presentation. Where necessary, undertake the responsibility to prepare feasibility and project evaluation reports to gauge the progress and impact of the project.
- Preparation and review of analysis of monthly actual performance reports (comprising of business KPI’s and variance accounting) for Executive Committee and Board of Trustees
- Devising and owning the Finance Project plan and ensuring key milestones are identified and communicated to key stakeholders
- Facilitate the financial strategic planning process, ensuring that comprehensive strategies, plans, and budgets are developed, approved, and effectively communicated to the stake holders.
- Collaborate and work with the AKU Planning and Budgeting team, establish a forecasting process that is both accurate and agile.
- Facilitate in making decision-making more effective.
- Identify opportunities for business process improvement in consultation with VPF & CFO to enhance productivity, reduce cost and optimize throughout.
- Drive execution of top priorities agreed upon by the CFO and Finance leadership team.
- Lead the preparation, production and compilation of presentations for the VPF and CFO, including Board of Trustees materials, senior management updates, analysis, presentations and statutory reports.
- Provides additional support on special and/or cross-functional projects
- Act as a key interface for dealing with the offices of the Deans, CEOs and Divisional Directors and to ensure timely responses are given and requests for time / deliverables.
- Proactively address and provide direction on pressing business and other issues that need immediate attention.
- Collaborate with the executive team members to determine and prioritize goals, tasks and business strategies.
- Oversee talent acquisition and performance management for the global Finance organization and continues to develop AKU’s Finance’s high-performance culture
- Partner with respective HRBP to support delivery of key HR processes, including but not limited to performance management & calibration process and in setting key performance indicators and their implementation to measure team performance.
- Support Chief Financial Officer with organisational leadership accountabilities, including employee engagement initiatives and employee communications
- Partner with Communications Director to support delivery of key communication interventions, including but not limited to all hands & firm-wides
- Management and monitoring of budgets and financial targets and reporting of any variation to the VPF & CFO.
Skills and Qualifications
- Requires 10 + years of professional experience in preferably in Finance (Chief of Staff, project management or consulting experience)
- MBA, ACA, ACCA, CFA or any other equivalent qualification.
- Excellent communications both written and verbal
- Expert project management/organization skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Strong analytical rigor with quantitative capabilities
- Effortless storytelling, communication, and synthesis abilities, with strong data visualization capabilities
- Ability to establish trust with business partners and stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Self-starter who thrives in ambiguous environments and adapts easily to change.
- Strong orientation to team culture and cross-functionality.